Acquisition from Gages
Data collection from gages. In this example
we will use a drop gage from Mitutoyo to show how to hook up
sigma SPC with a gage. The procedure would be similar using any
- Connect the gage to the computer by
following the instructions in the gage manual.
- Start AT-Sigma SPC.
- We will now create a simple spc file that takes penny measurements
and plots it in a control chart. If you dont want
to go through the steps of creating this SPC file, skip
to step 4.
- Start the Setup wizard from the
- Select directory samples/gage.
Click Next >.
- Table name: Mypenny
- Add numeric field: Diameter
- Add numeric field: Thickness
- Click Next >
- Set sample size to 2 and click Finish.
- Open penny.spc, located in
Now, we need to set up the gage. Since all gages are
slightly different, the details will differ when you set
up your gage. Please refer to the gage manual for
- Select Data Entry|Gages
and then Setup|Port Setup and Enable from the main
- Click in the check box for the port
your gage is connected to.
- Click in any other check boxes to
remove any check marks.
Make sure there is no check mark in MONITOR
- Click on the Setup... button to
configure the port and gage options.
- In the COM ports tab, enter Mygage
as the Communication Port Title.
- The following configuration is for a Mitutoyo
gage. Please refer to your gage manual for the settings
you need to use to receive gage data from your gage.
- Choose communication settings to
use Even parity, 7 data bits, 1 stop bit, 9600
- Click on the STANDARD tab.
- Click on the CHARACTER
TERMINATED radio button and enter #13 in
the adjacent edit field.
- Click on the FILTER
tab. This section lets you filter the incomming data
so it will be usable in a data base. Checkmark Strip
Leading Spaces, Strip Trailing Spaces
and Filter Characters. Make sure Characters
To Keep reads: 0123456789.+-e.
- Click on the ADVANCED tab.
The advanced section allows you to make a script that
will be executed when you want to retrieve data from
the gage. Not all gages need this procedure.
- Enter the following in lines 1
- Check the Enable box and enter
5 in as number of
- Click on the MONITOR
tab and checkmark "Set to Sigma SPC" at the
- Press the OK button and then the
OK button again in Setup Port Action.
- Now we need to configure
Data Entry. Select Data Entry Setup from the Data
- Select Diameter. Enter the following
- Click on properties.
- Check the Data Pipe checkbox.
- Click on Select gage name and select
- Select Thickness. Enter the following
- Go through steps 13 15 again
for the Thickness variable.
- Now that all setup is done, its
time to collect data from the gage. Select Data
Entry from the Data Entry menu.
- Click on the gage button () to collect data from the gage. For more
information on how to use the Data Entry module, click here.
- If you have the control charts open,
you will see how they update when you press save.